Early Indiana Allens from Shelbyville, Kentucky
By ``Shelbyville Allens'' I mean Allen descendants of six grandsons
of Robert Allan.
Robert Allan (1695?-1769) was born in Armagh, Ulster, but by
1738 was part of the Hite Pioneers,
first to settle near the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.
(Was Winchester indeed the first ``American town'' West of the Blue Ridge?)
Robert had seven children:
- 1. Martha married Robert's stepson James Givens,
and moved first to Lincoln County, Kentucky.
Most genealogies do not show Martha as a daughter of Robert;
perhaps she was from a first wife
(her putative birth is before Robert's marriage to Deborah Montgomery),
or Robert's niece,
or widowed sister-in-law.
- 2. John's widow and family moved to Shelby County, Kentucky, founding the Allen Dale Farm.
- 3. Thomas's family stayed first in Virginia.
- 4. Robert Jr.'s children accompanied bother John's family to Shelby Co.
- 5. David's family settled first in Green County, Kentucky.
- 6. Benjamin's family settled first in Casey County, Kentucky.
- 7. Rebecca married John Givens, kin of Martha's husband.
Some of this family may have also gone to Shelby County,
but these were Givens, not Allens.
One difficulty is that ``Allen'' is a very common surname.
(I envy those researching Metcalfe.)
Let's consider just Allens with first name ``Montgomery.''
My problem is ``Allen'' is such a common surname.
At least fourteen ``Montgomery Allens''
show up in U.S. censuses 1800-1860
but these may be as few as six individuals.
At least three are plainly visible in Indiana:
The other three may be
- Montgomery Allen (1766-1835) nephew and son-in-law of Major John Allen and Anne Polk.
- Montgomery Allen (1793-1863) of Ripley County and unknown parentage.
(I think his mother was ``Sarah.'')
- Montgomery Allen (1829-1867) of Ripley County, son of Montgomery ('93).
Did he appear in 1850 Virginia census?
- A fourth Montgomery Allen in Indiana, son of Montgomery (1766).
- A Montgomery Allen (ca 1807 Pennsylvania . . ?), husband of Mary A.
- An unresearched Montgomery Allen who shows up in 1840-1850 Illinois
He is possibly father of Gilbert L. Allen who married Mary A. Potts.
- (There also seems to be a Montgomery Allen b. 1855 Virg., son of
Joseph and Elizabeth nee Carlton, who should show up
in 1860 census, is he there?)